Our Best Answer

How do I request a loan deferment?


Difficulty Making Payments

If you’re having trouble making payments on your loans, remember that if something causes you to not be able to afford your payments at all, it's important to contact the loan servicer right away. Especially with federal loans, there's almost always something your loan holder can do to provide relief and help you avoid late fees and credit hits.

  • Changing repayment plans.
  • Requesting a deferment—If you meet certain requirements, a deferment allows you to temporarily stop making payments on your loan.
  • Requesting forbearance—In limited circumstances, if you don’t meet the eligibility requirements for a deferment but are temporarily unable to make your loan payments, forbearance would allow you to temporarily stop making payments on your loan, temporarily make smaller payments, or extend the time for making payments.
  • Consolidation—Allows you to combine your federal student loans into a single loan.  Visit the Loan Consolidation page at studentloans.gov (link is external) to see whether consolidation is right for you.


For more information on loan deferment visit: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/deferment-forbearance

Email to a Friend :: Questions I've already asked

Please Rate Our Answer

Poor    Excellent